Popular English Idioms

Popular English idioms:


1. Piece of cake - Something very easy to do.

 Finishing this puzzle was a piece of cake.

2. Break the ice - To initiate conversation in a social setting. 

I told a funny joke to break the ice at the meeting.I told a funny joke to break the ice at the meeting.

3. Hit the hay - To go to bed. 

It’s late and I have to get up early tomorrow; time to hit the hay.

4. Under the weather - Feeling ill or sick. 

I'm feeling a bit under the weather, so I think I'll stay in tonight.

5. Spill the beans - Reveal a secret. 

Come on, spill the beans! Who's the secret guest at the party?

6. Kick the bucket - An idiom for dying. 

My old car finally kicked the bucket, so now I need a new one.

7. Bite the bullet - To endure a painful experience or to face the situation courageously. 

I guess I just have to bite the bullet and get my tooth pulled out.

8. Let the cat out of the bag - To reveal something that was supposed to be a secret. 

He let the cat out of the bag about their engagement before they were ready to announce it.

9. Beat around the bush - Avoiding the main topic, not speaking directly. 

Stop beating around the bush and tell me what the problem is!

10. Costs an arm and a leg - Very expensive. 

That designer dress costs an arm and a leg.


Yorumlar

Bu blogdaki popüler yayınlar

Writing a letter of complaint

Embracing Regret

Speaking Practice